Thursday, December 27, 2012

Letter #18- Guatita


December 17, 2012

Dear Everyone,
Hello hello! South Carolina is wet and warm this winter. I've been working crazy hard at trying to help people this week. We have three little kids that we are teaching that are 8 10 and 13 and they are going to be baptized on the 29th. They are solid little ninios that we have been blessed to be able to know and they are loving the gospel and soakin every little bit of it up. There mom is a less active that we happened upon after asking a member for a friend they think might need the gospel. They have been active ever since we went over there to speak to them.
Funny story this week, well, more like wierd/cool. I ate an ecuadorian plate called "guatita." Basically it is the inside stomach lining of a cow. The second I smelt it the memories of every old dirty barn and rodeo I've ever been to flooded my mind; because guatita smells exactly like that. And even worse, it taste the same as it smells. A member made it for us and we were eating with some senior missionaries who one is from ecuador and she said she wouldn't ever make that dish because it's gross. I got half way through the plate when I decided I wouldn't have any more. I actually wanted to vomit....But then I looked at everyone elses plates and they were empty! I said "NO! I am not going to be the only gringo in here!" I grabbed a lime and squezzed the lime juice all over the dish and then got shot in the eye in the process while spraying sister Benedict(the sister missionary from ecuador) who was right next to me. Then I grabbed a napkin dabbed my eye and went and grabbed some more fried plantaens and sat down and polished off the rest of the plate! They all clapped for me as I finished....And I would eat it again if it were given to me, but I could never make that stuff in my life.
We have several investigators that are Brazillian so I've been learning Portugese as I go here as well as spanish and it gets confusing at times. I feel like a 4 year old. I also have to give the lesson for the elders quorum on the 6th of January. I know I'm going to need some divine intervention on that one. Life's just been going well. Christmas coming up everyone seems to be to busy to listen to us, but it will be fine, I know that we'll be provided a way by our Heavenly Father. I've been reading a lot out of this last conferences Ensign, and it's way cool! I learned so much more from rereading all the talks again than I did when I listened to it.
This week I want to extend a challenge to have each of you bear your testimony to either a less active family in your area or a non member family in your area. I know it'll feel wierd and I know it might be uncomfortable. But you have a greater purpose than being a slave to the man as they say. More purpose than work, school, friends, and hobbies. You are all missionaries. The things you have done and will do have more effect on people than you know. I am just starting to see that as I get letters from you all. I did everything when I was younger because I was taught it was right and now 10-20 years later I'm reaping the benefits of it. I pray for each of you regularily. When ever I feel inspired to say a prayer for you I do it. I've even felt inspired to do things that are completely crazy and don't have any logic behind them, but I know that good will come of them so I do it.
I love you all,
Elder Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment