Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Letter #15- "A Time for Thanks and Revisions"


November 26, 2012
Dear Everyone,                                                         
This week has been pretty good. I have been trying to figure out why our key indicators keep falling and what things that I can do differently to help more. So this week I'm going to call it "A Time for Thanks and Revisions." I spent a lot of my time this week doing/spending time on things that I didn't need to. Too much time at dinner appointment, too much time driving to places. So I thought I need to do more. It made me think of a time in my life where I was moving around a lot, going from place to place looking for an escape from the things that haunted me. Well, I eventually found out that I was the problem and that things needed to change within myself to solve those problems. I have again examined my past weeks here in Goose Creek and thought I could change so many of the things I do to be better.
So I made sat myself down and started thinking. My farewell talk was on pioneers (and it was probably one of the worst talks I've ever given), but I know that I gave that talk for a reason. Brother Cox was inspired to have me talk on this subject, because now it is my motivation. I come from pioneer ancestry on multiple sides of my family. They did so stinking much and the other day I was reading an ensign that talked about a girl who was in a temporary internship, temporarily in a ward, and temporarily in this particular place that she lived. She then talked about how she was just going through the motions and not really applying herself to her calling, her friends in the area, and not really trying with her full efforts. She then said could you imagine what would have happened had the pioneers felt and had done the same? They built towns, they build bridges, planted crops, made paths for others to follow, built temples, and served others all along the way while traveling. They put forth their full effort to fulfill their callings to move west and then to colonize their assigned areas. I then instantly thought about my talk, and my pioneer ancestry, and whether or not I was putting in my full effort.
I am temporarily serving a full time mission. Was I working with all my might, mind, and strength? I came to the conclusion that I was letting the natural man take over more often than he should. I had then recommitted myself to working harder and putting in my full efforts. The progress is slow due to the damage done previously. But without the revision and study of my own actions I would never have progressed at all. Are you looking at what you can change daily? I promise you that you too can make improvements daily. Ask our Heavenly Father sincerely to help you to see your inadequacies and he will help you see what things you can do better and revise. Then, write them down and set a goal to over come them every day. I am thank full for revision and the atonement.
Ok, so this Thanksgiving was crazy. I have never ate more this week in my life. We were asked not to proselyte so we scheduled 3 dinners...then we had dinners at peoples houses every single night except tonight. We had to turn down a dinner even....Crazy. I feel super fat.
Locklin called and dropped us a few weeks ago. I forgot to tell you that. We are working with a few Brazillians. By they way we have had about 20 Brazillian investigators since I came to the area and we have more to get in contact with. So I'm learning Spanish and Portugese. Little by little. The funny thing about Brazillians though is they can't say no and they'll just ignore you if they don't want to talk to you. They can't say what they really think, just what I'm finding, this is not eternally true. Umm...Found a cool little family, found out they weren't married after they committed to a baptismal date, and they can't get married for certain reasons I won't say. Then we are working with a man named Candido who is in his 30's want's to know more about the church and we have asked him to be baptised before, but he says he still wants to know more. so I'll let you know how that goes. In means of other work we are doing, we've been working a lot with less actives, Sister Santana is entirely active again, minus the fact she picked up a smoking habit while being away from the church. So we and bishop are working close with her to help her with that. And I'm just grateful to be a missionary.
I love being a missionary! I can see why now people don't want to come home, I'm loving it and the work I do more and more each day. It's insane. I know this is Jesus Christ's restored church and there are so many people out there searching for it. I know the importance of being obedient and working hard for a righteous cause are the most important things I can do right now and I will continue forward with pioneer like effort to accomplish all things. I love you all!
Love,
Elder Kendon Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment